Ph.D., University of California, Berkeley, 2009
Program Director, Advanced Research Programs Agency - Energy, US Department of Energy, 2014-2018
Senior Research Engineer, Robert Bosch Research and Technology Center, Palo Alto, CA, 2009-2013
Electrochemical technologies for energy storage and conversion, including the materials needed to enable advances. Lithium-ion, lithium metal, flow, and other battery systems. Electrolysis processes, including alkaline water electrolysis. Degradation and failure analysis. Continuum-scale mathematical modeling of electrochemical processes and devices. Thermodynamic, transport, and kinetic property measurements.
Energy technology entrepreneurship and innovation, including energy system analysis to identify innovation opportunities.
ENCH648K: Advanced Batteries and Fuel Cells / CHBE473: Electrochemical Energy Engineering (Spring 2019)
- Paul Albertus, Susan Babinec, Scott Litzelman, and Aron Newman, “Status and challenges in enabling the lithium metal electrode for high energy and low cost rechargeable batteries,” Nature Energy, 3, 2018, pp. 16-21.
- Edward Knudsen, Paul Albertus, Kyu Taek Cho, Adam Z. Weber, and Aleksandar Kojic, “Flow simulation and analysis of high-power flow batteries,” Journal of Power Sources, 299, 2015, pp. 617-628.
- Sun Ung Kim, Paul Albertus, David Cook, Charles W Monroe, and Jake Christensen, “Thermochemical simulations of performance and abuse in 50-Ah automotive cells,” Journal of Power Sources, 268, 2014, pp. 625-633.
- Paul Albertus, Timm Lohmann, and Jake Christensen, “Overview of Li/O2 Battery Systems, with a Focus on Oxygen Handling Requirements and Technologies,” in The Li-Air Battery – Fundamentals, ed. Nobuyuki Imanishi, Alan C. Luntz, and Peter Bruce, 2014, Chapter 11.
- Jake Christensen, David Cook, and Paul Albertus, “An Efficient Parallelizable 3D Thermoelectrochemical Model of a Li-Ion Cell,” Journal of the Electrochemical Society, 160(11), 2013, pp. A2258-A2267.
- Kyu Taek Cho, Paul Albertus, Vincent Battaglia, Aleksandar Kojic, Venkat Srinivasan, and Adam Z. Weber, “Optimization and Analysis of High-Power Hydrogen/Bromine-Flow Batteries for Grid-Scale Energy Storage,” Energy Technology, 1(10), 2013, pp. 596-608.
- Yi Zeng, Paul Albertus, Reinhardt Klein, Nalin Chaturvedi, Aleksandar Kojic, Martin Z. Bazant, and Jake Christensen, “Efficient Conservative Numerical Schemes for 1D Nonlinear Spherical Diffusion Equations with Applications in Battery Modeling,” Journal of the Electrochemical Society, 160 (9), 2013, pp. A1565-A1571.
- Jake Christensen, Paul Albertus, Roel S. Sanchez-Carrera, Timm Lohmann, Boris Kozinsky, Ralf Liedtke, Jasim Ahmed, and Aleksandar Kojic, “A Critical Review of Li/air Batteries,” invited submission for a “Critical Reviews in Electrochemical and Solid-State Science and Technology,” Journal of the Electrochemical Society,159 (2), 2012, pp. R1-R30.
- Anthony Ferrese, Paul Albertus, Jake Christensen, and John Newman, “Lithium Redistribution in Lithium-Metal Batteries,” Journal of the Electrochemical Society, 159 (10), 2012, pp. A1615-A1623.
- Paul Albertus, G. Girishkumar, Bryan McCloskey, Roel S. Sanchez-Carrera, Boris Kozinsky, Jake Christensen, and A. C. Luntz, “Identifying Capacity Limitations in the Li/Oxygen Battery Using Experiments and Modeling,” Journal of the Electrochemical Society, 158 (3), 2011, pp. A343-A351.
- Cyrus Wadia, Paul Albertus, and Venkat Srinivasan, “Resource constraints on the battery energy storage potential for grid and transportation applications,” Journal of Power Sources, 196 (3), 2011, pp. 1593-1598.
- Paul Albertus and John Newman, “Battery Size and Capacity Use in Hybrid and Plug-In Hybrid Electric Vehicles,” in Electric and Hybrid Vehicles, ed. Gianfranco Pistoia, 2010, Chapter 17.
- Elton J. Cairns and Paul Albertus, “Batteries for Electric and Hybrid-Electric Vehicles,” Annual Reviews of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering, Vol. 1, 2010, pp. 299-320.
- Paul Albertus, Jake Christensen, and John Newman. “Experiments on and Modeling of Positive Electrodes with Multiple Active Materials for Lithium-Ion Batteries,” Journal of the Electrochemical Society, 156 (7), 2009, A606-A618.
- Maureen Tang, Paul Albertus, and John Newman. “Two-Dimensional Modeling of Lithium Deposition During Cell Charging,” Journal of the Electrochemical Society, 156 (5), 2009, A390-A399.
- Paul Albertus, Jeremy Couts, Venkat Srinivasan, and John Newman, “The Relation of Cell Chemistry to the Size of Batteries for Hybrid and Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicles,” ECS Transactions, 13 (19), 2008, 27-39.
- Paul Albertus, Jeremy Couts, Venkat Srinivasan, and John Newman. “II. A combined model for determining capacity usage and battery size for hybrid and plug-in hybrid electric vehicles,” Journal of Power Sources, 183 (2), 2008, 771-782.
- Paul Albertus and John Newman. “I. A simplified model for determining capacity usage and battery size for hybrid and plug-in hybrid electric vehicles,” Journal of Power Sources, 183 (1), 2008, 376-380.
- Sarah Stewart, Paul Albertus, Venkat Srinivasan, Irene Plitz, N. Pereira, Glenn Amatucci, and John Newman. “Optimizing the performance of lithium titanate spinel paired with activated carbon or iron phosphate,” Journal of the Electrochemical Society, 155 (3), 2008, A253-A261.
- Paul Albertus, Jake Christensen, and John Newman. “Modeling side reactions and non-isothermal effects in nickel metal-hydride batteries,” Journal of the Electrochemical Society, 155 (1), 2008, A48-A60.