Students who wish to study at the A. James Clark School of Engineering apply for admission to the University of Maryland. There is no separate application for engineering. When filling out the university application, you may choose chemical and biomolecular engineering as your intended major. You may also apply as an undecided engineering major.
The A. James Clark School of Engineering is a Limited Enrollment Program. UMD students not enrolled in the Clark School or those interested in transferring from another institution must successfully complete a specific set of courses, known as gateway requirements.
Additional Admission Information for Transfer Students
For best consideration, both external (outside UMD) and internal transfer (current UMD) students will be admitted to the Clark School, on a space available basis, if they meet the following admission requirements:
(*A minimum grade point average of 3.0 in all courses taken at the University of Maryland and all other institutions is required for internal and external transfer students.)
- Completion of MATH 141 with a minimum grade of B- or better
- Completion of PHYS 161 with a minimum grade of B- or better
- Completion of CHEM 135, CHEM 271, OR CHEM 134 with a minimum grade of C- or better
- (Students who take CHEM 134 must also complete CHEM 131 with a C- or better)
- Students interested in applying to Bioengineering prior to Spring 2018 must also complete BIOE 120 with a minimum grade of B-
Transfer students should also check out the Summer Pathways Scholarship.