Many additional forms can be found on the University of Maryland's Graduate School web site.

All forms after signed MUST but turned in to Kathy Gardinier, Assistant Director of Undergraduate and Graduate Studies, including those submitted to the graduate school. Ms. Gardinier will forward the documents to the graduate school as needed.

As a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, recent changes have been made by the UMD Graduate School regarding the Report of Examining Committee (REC) for thesis and dissertation students.

Effective October 13, 2020, all thesis and dissertation committee members, including members external to UMD, will be able to sign the REC electronically in Adobe Sign.  All requests for a remote defense for the remainder of the 2020/2021 academic year will be approved, so committee chairs no longer need to submit a request for a remote thesis or dissertation defense. Instead, a request to initiate the electronic REC form must be made at least 10 business days before the scheduled defense. Whether a defense is held remotely or in-person, committee members must access the electronic REC in Adobe when signing off on a student's successful defense.

The Graduate School has also finalized a new Nomination of Committee form, which can be found here. After the student’s committee is approved by the Office of the Registrar, the committee chair will submit a request for the electronic REC here. In order to complete the request:

  • The committee chair (or designee) must have the student’s information, including name and UID, as well as all committee member names and email addresses.
  • The email address provided for each committee member will serve as authentication when accessing the electronic REC. Special members who do not have a UMD login will no longer have any issues signing the form electronically.

For more information about the REC request process, please follow this link.

The Graduate School will initiate the Adobe Sign REC form no later than two days before the scheduled defense. At that time, all committee members will receive an email from Adobe Sign that provides them with a link to the electronic REC. After the student has successfully defended their thesis or dissertation, including any revisions, committee members must access the form and submit their approval (i.e., signature) for the student’s defense.

When all committee members have submitted their approval, the electronic REC will automatically route to the Program Director for final approval. Once the Program Director submits their approval, the REC automatically routes to the Office of the Registrar. No other action is needed from the graduate program at that time.