Achieve More

Step 1: Submit a Combined BS/MS Degree FormStep 2: Apply to UMD graduate schoolSample Programs

Chemical engineering at Maryland offers a five-year combined Bachelor of Science/Master of Science (B.S./M.S.) program including a thesis.

Application to the combined B.S./M.S. degree program is a two-step process:

  • In the first step, students must submit a Combined Bachelor’s/Master’s Degree Form, which can be downloaded from the Clark School's Office of Undergraduate Advising web site at under "Request to Take Graduate Courses." This form identifies the three (3) graduate courses that are counted for both undergraduate/graduate degrees. It should be submitted to 1131 Martin Hall at least one day before the first meeting of the student’s first 600+ class.

    If doing Sample Program II, you will also need to complete the Request to take Graduate Courses Form,which can be downloaded from the Clark School's Office of Undergraduate Advising web site at, to bring in ENCH 630.
  • In the second step, students must apply to the UMD graduate school. Deadlines for applying to the ChBE graduate program may be found on the UMD Graduate School web site.

Acceptance to ChBE's combined B.S./M.S. program does not guarantee admission to the Graduate School.


  • Students should apply to the B.S./M.S. program at the end of their 6th semester in the B.S. program in ChBE at UMD. 
  • Transfer students should have completed the core ChBE courses in a typical 6th semester (i.e., CHBE 424 and 426).
  • Students should have a minimum GPA of 3.0 for admission. In addition, it is highly recommended that the student should have at least a B average in the ChBE core courses up to the 6th semester (CHBE 101, 250, 301, 302, 410, 422, 440, 424, 426).
  • It is highly recommended (but not required) that the student should have already started research with a member of the ChBE department faculty (the “research advisor”) at the time of application.

Application Procedure

To apply, create a single PDF file containing the following documents in order:

  • Resumé
    Recommended: 1 to 2 pages, single-spaced.  
  • Transcript
    Unofficial transcript is adequate.
  • Statement of Purpose (essay)
    Recommended: 1 to 2 pages, single-spaced.
  • Letters of Recommendation: List of three faculty, with e-mails
    If the student has a research advisor, that professor should be one of the letter writers. If the student does not have a research advisor, he/she should approach a potential research advisor and request a letter from this person. 

The file should be named: LastName, FirstName.pdf (e.g., Smith, John.pdf). E-mail this file to Kathy Gardinier (

Deadline: July 15

Evaluation of Applications

  • Applications will be evaluated by the ChBE Graduate Committee.
  • The letter of recommendation from research advisor (current or potential) will be a key factor in admission decisions.
  • Decisions will be conveyed before the 7th semester (before senior year). Admitted students would declare that they are in the B.S./M.S. program at that time.
  • At the time the student is accepted, he/she will be assigned to the research advisor who recommended the student. Course advising will also be done by this advisor.

Requirements of the M.S. Degree

  • Students must apply and be accepted to the M.S. program for the fall term after their B.S. degree. Applications for the M.S. for the fall semester are due January 2nd.
  • GRE is optional for the M.S. application for the B.S./M.S. students.
  • Total 30 credits. See sample programs for more information.
  • Three (3) elective courses, totalling nine (9) credits, will be counted as part of the student's coursework requirement for both their B.S. and M.S. degrees.
  • 21 additional credits spread out over Years 4 and 5 (typically will involve just four [4] additional courses, which will be the ChBE graduate core courses).  
  • At the end of Year 5 (10th semester) or during the subsequent summer, the student should write and defend an M.S. thesis.


Graduate-level courses taken while the student is an undergraduate are paid for by the student's full-time undergraduate tuition. The balance of credits taken as a graduate student enrolled in the Master of Science program are subject to the tuition and fees set by the UMD Office of the Bursar.


ChBE Prof Jeff Klauda

Jeffery Klauda

Associate Professor

Associate Chair and Graduate Program Director
1227A Chemical and Nuclear Engineering Building, College Park, MD 20742