Professor and Associate Chair
Fischell Department of Bioengineering
Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering
Maryland Robotics Center
Fischell Department of Bioengineering
Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering
Maryland Robotics Center
5226 A. James Clark Hall
Don L. DeVoe is a Professor and Associate Chair of Research in the Department of Mechanical Engineering at the University of Maryland, College Park. He holds affiliate appointments in the Department of Bioengineering and Department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering, and is a core faculty member of the Fischell Institute for Biomedical Devices. Dr. DeVoe received his Ph.D. degree in Mechanical Engineering from the University of California, Berkeley in 1997 with a focus on microsystems technology. His current research interests are focused on microfluidic systems, with an emphasis on the development of microfluidic technologies for nucleic acid diagnostics, cancer immunology, and liposome/exosome nanomedicine development. He is a recipient of the 2013 University System of Maryland Regents Award for Research and was named a 2008 Kavli Fellow of the National Academy of Sciences. Dr. DeVoe was recognized with the Presidential Early Career Award for Scientists and Engineers from the National Science Foundation in 2000 for advances in microsystems technology. He is a Senior Editor for the IEEE/ASME Journal of Microelectromechanical Systems (J. MEMS), and currently serves on the board of the Chemical and Biological Microsystems Society (CBMS).
- Ph.D., University of California, Berkeley, 1997
- M.S., University of Maryland, College Park, 1993
- B.S., University of Maryland, College Park, 1991
HONORS AND AWARDS
- Wilson H. Elkins Professorship (2020)
- University System of Maryland Regents Award for Research (2013)
- Kavli Fellow of the National Academy of Sciences (2008)
- NSF Presidential Early Career Award for Scientists and Engineers for advances in microsystems technology (2000)
- NSF CAREER Award (1999)
SOCIETY AND EDITORIAL
- Treasurer - Chemical and Biological Microsystems Society (CBMS)
- Senior Editor - Journal of MicroElectroMechanical Systems (J. MEMS)
- MEMS and microsystems technology
- Microfluidic systems
- Disposable diagnostics
- Microtechnology for synthetic biology
- Scalable nanomedicine development
Microhydrocyclones for Scalable Exosome Isolation
Exosomes have emerged as a powerful drug delivery vehicle, with enormous potential for efficient delivery of diverse therapeutic cargos to targeted cells. Despite the promise of exosome-based nanotherapeutics, existing techniques for exosome isolation cannot support the throughput required by the drug development process. Progress in the field is endangered by the need for technological advancements enabling high-throughput and scalable exosome isolation. In this project, a novel microscale hydrocyclone (µHC) technology is being developed to increase the throughput of exosome separations by orders of magnitude over existing methods, thereby enabling rapid, efficient, and scalable continuous-flow isolation from a range of biological samples. The µHC technology leverages nanoscale additive manufacturing using in situ direct laser writing, supporting the fabrication of complex and high resolution 3D features directly within thermoplastic microfluidic substrates.
Synthetic Biogenesis of Eukaryotic Cells
We are developing techniques to perform bottom-up engineering of eukaryotic cell-like organelles, enabling complex systems mimicking the structure and function of biological cells. The project is focused on achieving synthetic biogenesis using engineering principles while leveraging new technologies for creating artificial organelles with control over structure and molecular content, together with techniques for combining biological isolates with the engineered structures and methods for integrating these organelles, including assembling the biological functions that link organelles together. Specifically, we are developing the tools and methods needed to construct the lipid-based structures mimicking the nucleus, endoplasmic reticulum, and mitochondrion, and exploring the pathways of communication between them.
Continuous-Flow Microfluidic Synthesis of Liposomal Nanomedicines
Therapeutics employing nanoscale unilamellar lipid vesicles (liposomes) as drug carriers are the most widely studied and successful class of nanomedicines. However, the transition of liposomal nanomedicines from the lab bench to clinical use remains constrained by the lack of nanomanufacturing methods capable of scaling across the full production range. Current techniques for liposome synthesis, drug encapsulation, surface functionalization, and nanoparticle concentration/purification must be re-engineered at each scale, introducing manufacturing costs and engineering challenges that present significant barriers to the development of new liposomal drugs. Overcoming this gap is fundamentally a nanomanufacturing challenge. In this effort we developed continuous-flow microfluidics technology as a unique scalable approach to bridge this nanomedicine manufacturing gap. The technology leverages multi-domain transport across multiple size scales to establish steep and controllable gradients within a sequence of continuous-flow microfluidic flow cells, enabling gradient-driven nanoparticle self-assembly, passive and active drug loading, nanoparticle functionalization, and drug purification and concentration.
Trap Array Chips Enabling Rapid, Automated, and Portable Antibiotic Resistance Screening
Antibiotic resistance represents a major and growing threat to public health, with drug-resistant pathogens significantly increasing rates of morbidity and mortality for infected patients. A major challenge associated with the increase in antimicrobial drug resistance is the lack of rapid assays for identifying causative pathogens and their drug resistance profiles during the earliest stages of treatment. Due to the complexity, limited multiplexing capacity, and low throughput of existing assays, the full clinical utility of PCR as a tool for guiding the treatment of bacterial infection has not yet been realized. In this project we developed a low-cost and disposable thermoplastic microfluidic platform employing a novel trap array technology addressing these constraints and opening the door to routine clinical application of PCR for antibiotic resistance screening. The trap array platform supports thousands of simultaneous PCR reactions using primers for multiple antibiotic-resistance gene targets, without the need for external pumping, valving, substrate preparation, or reagent introduction, and is currently being expanded to a million-well platform for digital PCR.
ENME476 Microelectromechanical Systems (MEMS)
Fundamentals of microelectromechanical systems (MEMS). Introduction to transducers and markets. MEMS fabrication processes and materials, including bulk micromachining, wet etching, dry etching, surface micromachining, sacrificial layers, film deposition, bonding, and non-traditional micromachining. Introduction to the relevant solid state physics, including crystal lattices, band structure, semiconductors, and doping. The laboratory covers safety, photolithography, profilometry, wet etching
ENME481/740 Lab-on-a-Chip Microsystems
Fundamentals and application of lab-on-a-chip and microfluidic technologies. A broad view of the field of microfluidics, knowledge of relevant fabrication methods and analysis techniques, and an understanding of the coupled multi-domain phenomena that dominate the physics in these systems.
ENME489B Mechatronics and the Internet of Things (IoT)
The field of mechatronics integrates dynamical systems, transducers, computation, control, and design to realize systems where complexity is shifted from solely mechanical components to the merged domains of mechanics, electronics, and software. This project-driven course will provide a structured hands-on environment to strengthen students’ understanding of mechatronics principles, and extend these concepts to the Internet of Things (IoT) in which sensors and actuators are embedded into physical objects together with wireless communications, enabling remote interaction with these objects through the Internet.
Selected Publications (see http://www.researcherid.com/rid/A-2891-2011 for a full listing)
- J.Y. Han, M. Wiederoder, D.L. DeVoe, "Isolation of intact bacteria from blood by selective cell lysis in a microfluidic porous silica monolith," Microsystems & Nanoengineering, 5, 30, 2019.
- O.M. Barham, M. Mirzaeimoghri, D.L. DeVoe, "Piezoelectric disc transformer mdeling utilizing extended Hamilton's principle," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., 34, 6583-6592, 2019.
- Z. Chen, J.Y. Han, L. Shumate, R.R. Fedak, D.L. DeVoe, "High-throughput liposome synthesis using a 3d printed microfluidic vertical flow focusing device," Adv. Mater. Technol., 1800511, 2019.
- H. Babahosseini, T. Misteli, D.L. DeVoe, "Microfluidic on-demand droplet generation, storage, retrieval, and merging for single-cell pairing," Lab Chip, 19, 493-502, 2019.
- O.M. Barham, D.L. DeVoe, "Piezoelectric disc transformer modeling utilizing extended Hamilton method," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., 34, 6583-6592, 2019.
- M. Mirzaeimoghri, A. Morales, A. Panna, E. Bennet, B. Lucotte, D.L. DeVoe, H. Wen, "Nano-printed miniature compound refractive lens for desktop hard x-ray microscopy," PLoS One, 13, e0203319, 2018.
- P. Hareesh, D.L. DeVoe, "Miniature bulk PZT traveling wave ultrasonic motors for low-speed high-torque rotary actuation," J. MEMS, 27, 547-554, 2018.
- S. Rauscher, H. Bruck, D.L. DeVoe, "Electrical Contact Resistance Force Sensing in SOI-DRIE MEMS," Sens. Act. A, 269, 474-482, 2018.
- A. Sposito, D.L. DeVoe, "Staggered trap arrays for robust microfluidic sample digitization," Lab Chip, 17, 4105-4112, 2017.
- S. Padmanabhan, D.L. DeVoe, "Controlled droplet discretization and manipulation using membrane displacement traps," Lab Chip, 17, 3717-3724, 2017.
- M.S. Wiederoder, S. Smith, P. Madzivhandila, D. Mager, K. Moodley, D.L. DeVoe, K.J. Land, "Novel functionalities of hybrid paper-polymer centrifugal devices for assay performance enhancement," Biomicrofluidics, 11, 054101, 2017.
- M. S. Wiederoder, E.L. Kendall, J.-H. Han, R.G. Ulrich, D. L. DeVoe "Flow-through microfluidic immunosensors with refractive index-matched silica monoliths as volumetric optical detection elements," Sens. Act. B, 254C, 878-886, 2017.
- J.Y. Han, O.D.Rahmanian, D.L. DeVoe, "Screw-actuated displacement micropumps for thermoplastic microfluidics," Lab Chip, 16, 3940-3946, 2016.
- A. Sposito, V. Hoang, D.L. DeVoe, "Rapid real-time PCR and high resolution melt analysis in a self-filling thermoplastic chip," Lab Chip, 16, 3524-3531, 2016.
- A.X. Lu, Y. Liu,H. Oh, A. Gargava, E. Kendall, Z. Nie, D.L. DeVoe, S.R. Raghavan, "Catalytic Propulsion and Magnetic Steering of Soft, Patchy Microcapsules: Ability to Pick-Up and Drop-Off Microscale Cargo," ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces, 8, 15676-15683, 2016.
- H. Oh, A.X. Lu, V. Javvaji, D.L. DeVoe, S.R. Raghavan, "Light-Directed Self-Assembly of Robust Alginate Gels at precise locations in microfluidic channels", ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces, 8, 17529-17538, 2016.
- M.S. Wiederoder, I. Misri, D.L. DeVoe, "Impedimetric immunosensing in a porous volumetric microfluidic detector," Sensors and Actuators B, 234, 493-497, 2016.
- R.R. Hood, D.L. DeVoe, "High throughput continuous flow production of nanoscale liposomes by microfluidic vertical flow focusing," Small, 11, 5790-2799, 2015.
- E.L. Kendall, J.Y. Han, M.S. Wiederoder, A. Sposito, A. Wilson, O.D. Rahmanian, D.L. DeVoe, "Soft lithography microfabrication of functionalized thermoplastics by solvent casting," Journal of Polymer Science Part B: Polymer Physics, 53, 1315-1323, 2015.
- J. Felder, E. Lee, D.L. DeVoe, "Large vertical displacement electrostatic microstage actuators," J. MEMS, 24, 896-903, 2015.
- M.S. Wiederoder, L. Peterken, A.X. Lu, O.D. Rahmanian, S. Raghavan, D.L. DeVoe, "Optical detection enhancement in porous volumetric microfluidic capture elements using refractive index matching fluids," Analyst, 140, 5724-5731, 2015.
- R.R. Hood, T. Wyderko, D.L. DeVoe, "Programmable digital droplet microfluidics using a multibarrel capillary bundle," Sens. Act. B, 220, 992-999, 2015.
- O.D. Rahmanian, D.L. DeVoe, "Single-use thermoplastic microfluidic burst valves enabling on-chip reagent storage," Microfluid. Nanofluid., 18, 1045-1053, 2015.
- K. Jiang, X. Lu, P. Dimitrakopoulos, D.L. DeVoe, S. Raghavan, "Microfluidic generation of uniform water droplets using gas as the continuous phase," J. Colloid and Interface Science, 448, 275-279, 2015.
- R.Q. Rudy, G.L. Smith, D.L. DeVoe, R.G. Polcawich, "Millimeter-scale traveling wave rotary ultrasonic motors," J. MEMS, 24, 108-114, 2015.
- J. Liu, B. Du, P. Zhang, M. Haleyurgirisetty, J. Zhao, V. Ragupathy, S. Lee, D.L. DeVoe, I.K. Hewlett, "Development of a microchip europium nanoparticle immunoassay for sensitive point-of-care HIV detection," Biosens. Bioelectron., 61, 177-183, 2014.
- R.R. Hood, W.N. Vreeland, D.L. DeVoe, "Microfluidic remote loading for rapid single-step liposomal drug preparation," Lab Chip, 14, 3359-3367, 2014.
- E.L. Kendall, E. Wienhold, D.L. DeVoe, "A chitosan coated monolith for nucleic acid capture in a thermoplastic microfluidic chip," Biomicrofluidics, 8, 044109, 2014.
- E.L. Kendall, E. Wienhold, O. Rahmanian, D.L. DeVoe, "Ex situ integration of multifunctional porous polymer monoliths into thermoplastic microfluidic chips," Sens. Act. B, 202, 866-872, 2014.
- R.R. Hood, D.L. DeVoe, J. Atencia, W.N. Vreeland, D.M. Omiatek, "A facile route to the synthesis of monodisperse nanoscale liposomes using 3D microfluidic hydrodynamic focusing in a concentric capillary array," Lab Chip, 14, 2403-2409, 2014
- R.R. Hood, E.L. Kendall, M. Junqueira, W.N. Vreeland, Z. Quezado, J.C. Finkel, D.L. DeVoe, "Microfluidic-enabled liposomes elucidate size-dependent transdermal transport," PLoS ONE, 9, e92978, 2014
- S. Yang, S.T. Eshghi, H. Chiu, D.L. DeVoe, H. Zhang, "Glycomic analysis by glycoprotein immobilization for glycan extraction and liquid chromatography on microfluidic chip," Anal. Chem., 85, 10117-10125, 2013.
- A.X. Lu, K. Jiang, D.L. DeVoe, S. Raghavan, "Microfluidic assembly of Janus-like dimer capsules", Langmuir, 29, 13624-13629, 2013.
- A. Andar, R.R. Hood, W.N. Vreeland, D.L. DeVoe, P.W. Swaan, "Microfluidic preparation of liposomes to determine particle size influence on cellular uptake mechanisms," Pharm. Res., 31, 401-413, 2014.
- C. Arya, J.G. Kralj, K. Jiang, M.S. Munson, T.P. Forbes, D.L. DeVoe, S.R. Raghavan, S.P. Forry, "Capturing rare cells from blood using a packed bed of custom synthesized chitosan microparticles,", J. Mater. Chem. B, 34, 4313-4319, 2013.
- R. Hood, C. Shao, D.M. Omiatek, W.N. Vreeland, D.L. DeVoe, "Microfluidic synthesis of PEG- and folate-conjugated liposomes for one-step formation of targeted stealth nanocarriers," Pharm. Res., 30, 1597-1607, 2013.
- O. Rahmanian, D.L. DeVoe, "Pen microfluidics: rapid desktop manufacturing of sealed thermoplastic microchannels," Lab Chip, 13, 1102-1108, 2013.
- E.L. Kendall, C. Shao, D.L. DeVoe, "Visualizing the Growth and Dynamics of Liquid-Ordered Domains During Lipid Bilayer Folding in a Microfluidic Chip," Small, 8, 3613-3619, 2012.
- G.L. Smith, R.Q. Rudy, R.G. Polcawich, D.L. DeVoe, "Integrated thin-film piezoelectric traveling wave ultrasonic motors," Sensors & Actuators A, 188, 305-311, 2012.
- P. Hareesh, I. Misri, S. Yang, D.L. DeVoe, "Transverse interdigitated electrode actuation of homogeneous bulk PZT," J. MEMS, 21, 1513-1518, 2012 .
- K. Jiang, J. Liu, S.R. Raghavan, D.L. DeVoe, "Microfluidic synthesis of macroporous polymer immunobeads," Polymer, 53, 5469-5475, 2012.
- O. Rahmanian, C.-F. Chen, D.L. DeVoe, "Microscale patterning of thermoplastic polymer surfaces by selective solvent swelling," Langmuir, 28, 12923-12929, 2012.
- C. Shao,B. Sun,D.L. DeVoe,M. Colombini, "Dynamics of ceramide channels detected using a microfluidic system," PLoS One,7, e43513, 2012.
- C. Shao, E.L. Kendall, D.L. DeVoe, "Electro-optical BLM chips enabling dynamic imaging of ordered lipid domains," Lab Chip, 12, 3142-3149, 2012.
- I. Misri, P. Hareesh, S. Yang, D.L. DeVoe, "Microfabrication of bulk PZT transducers by dry film photolithography and micro powder blasting," J. Micromech. Microeng., 22, 085017, 2012.
- K. Jiang, P.C. Thomas, S.P. Forry, D.L. DeVoe, S.R. Raghavan, "Microfluidic synthesis of monodisperse PDMS microbeads as discrete oxygen sensors," Soft Matter, 8, 923-926, 2012.
- K. Jiang, C. Xue, C. Arya, C. Shao, E.O. George, D.L. DeVoe, S.R. Raghavan "A new approach to in situ micro-manufacturing: microfluidic fabrication of magnetic and fluorescent chains using chitosan microparticles as building blocks," Small, 7, 2470-2476, 2011.
- C. Shao, B. Sun, M. Colombini, D.L. DeVoe, "Rapid microfluidic perfusion enabling kinetic studies of lipid ion channels in a bilayer lipid membrane chip," Annals of Biomedical Engineering, 39, 2242-2251, 2011.
- J. Liu, I. White, D.L. DeVoe, "Nanoparticle-functionalized porous polymer monolith detection elements for surface-enhanced raman scattering," Anal. Chem., 83, 2119-2124, 2011.
- J. Liu, C.-F. Chen, S. Yang, C.-C. Chang, D.L. DeVoe, "Mixed-mode electrokinetic and chromatographic peptide separations in a microvalve-integrated polymer chip," Lab Chip, 10, 2122-2129, 2010.
- J. Liu, C.-F. Chen, D.L. DeVoe, "Flow-through immunosensors using antibody-immobilized polymer monoliths," Biosens. Bioelectron., 26, 182-188, 2010.
- A. Jahn, S.M. Stavis, J.S. Hong, W.N. Vreeland, D.L. DeVoe, M. Gaitan, "Microfluidic Mixing and the Formation of Nanoscale Lipid Vesicles," ACS Nano, 4, 2077-2087, 2010.
- C.-W. Tsao, T. Song, C.-F. Chen, J. Liu, D.L. DeVoe, "Interfacing microfluidics to LDI-MS by automatic robotic spotting,"; Microfluid. Nanofluid., 8, 777-787, 2010.
- C.-F. Chen, J. Liu, C.-C. Chang, D.L. DeVoe, "High-pressure on-chip mechanical valves for thermoplastic microfluidic devices," Lab Chip, 9, 3511-3516, 2009.
- J. Liu, C.F. Chen, C.W. Tsao, C.C. Chang, C.-C. Chu, D.L. DeVoe, "Polymer microchips integrating solid-phase extraction and high-performance liquid chromatography using reversed-phase polymethacrylate monoliths," Anal. Chem., 81, 2545-2554, 2009.
- S. Yang, J. Liu, C.S. Lee, D.L. DeVoe, "Microfluidic 2-D PAGE using multifunctional in-situ polyacrylaminde gels and discontinuous buffers," Lab Chip, 9, 592-599, 2009.
- C.-W. Tsao, D.L. DeVoe "Bonding of thermoplastic microfluidics," Microfluidics and Nanofluidics, 6, 1-16, 2008.
- C.F. Chen, J. Liu, L. Hromada, C.W. Tsao, C.C. Chang, D.L. DeVoe , "High-pressure needle interface for thermoplastic microfluidics," Lab Chip, 9, 50-55, 2008.
- S. Yang, J. Liu, D.L. DeVoe, "Optimization of sample transfer in two-dimensional microfluidic separation systems" Lab Chip, 8, 1145-1152, 2008.
- A. Jahn, J. Reiner, W. Vreeland, D.L. DeVoe, L. Locascio, M. Gaitan, "Preparation of nanoparticles by continuous-flow microfluidics," J. Nanoparticle Research, 10, 925-934, 2008.
- H. Li, B. Piekarski, D.L. DeVoe, B. Balachandran, "Nonlinear Oscillations of Piezoelectric Microresonators with Curved Cross-Sections," Sensors and Actuators A, 144, 194-200, 2008.
- J. Liu, S. Yang, C.S. Lee, D.L. DeVoe, "Polyacrylamide gel plugs enabling 2-D microfluidic protein separations via isoelectric focusing and multiplexed sodium dodecyl sulfate gel electrophoresis," Electrophoresis, 29, 2241-2250, 2008.
- C.-W. Tsao, P. Kumar, J. Liu, D.L. DeVoe, "Dynamic electrowetting on nanofilament silicon for matrix-free laser desorption/ionization mass spectrometry," Anal. Chem., 80, 2973-2981, 2008.
- L. Hromada, B.J. Nablo, J.J. Kasianowicz, M.A. Gaitan, D.L. DeVoe, "Single molecule measurements within individual membrane-bound ion channels using a polymer-based bilayer lipid membrane chip," Lab Chip, 8, 602-608, 2008.
- C.-W. Tsao, J. Liu, D.L. DeVoe, "Droplet formation from hydrodynamically-coupled capillaries for parallel microfluidic contact spotting," J. Micromech. Microeng., 18, 025013, 2008.
- J.C. Marshall, D.L. Herman, P.T. Vernier, D.L. DeVoe, M. Gaitan, "Young's modulus measurements in standard IC CMOS processes using MEMS test structures," Electron Dev. Lett., 28, 960-963, 2007.
- A. Jahn, W. Vreeland, D.L. DeVoe, L. Locascio, M. Gaitan, "Microfluidic Directed Self-Assembly of Liposomes of Controlled Size," Langmuir, 23, 6289-6293, 2007.
- P. Kumar, S. Kanakaraju, D.L. DeVoe, "Sacrificial Etching of AlxGa1-xAs for III-V MEMS Surface Micromachining," Appl. Phys. A, 88, 711-714, 2007.
- D. Yashar, P. Domanski, D.L. DeVoe, "A microfabricated flow controller for refrigerant expansion," J. MEMS, 16, 1106-1112, 2007.
- X. Fang, L. Yang, W. Wang, T. Song, C.S. Lee, D.L. DeVoe, B.M. Balgley, "Comparison of electrokinetics-based multidimensional separations coupled with electrospray ionization-tandem mass spectrometry for characterization of human salivary proteins," Anal. Chem., 79, 5785-5792, 2007.
- T. Guo, W. Wang, P.A. Rudnick, T. Song, J. Li, Z. Zhuang, R.J. Weil, D.L. DeVoe, C.S. Lee, B.M. Balgley, "Proteome analysis of microdissected formalin-fixed and paraffin-embedded tissue specimens," J. Histochem. Cystochem., 55, 763-772, 2007.
- D.N. Martin, B. Balgley, J. Chen1, S. Dutta, J. Cranford, P. Rudnick, S. Kantartzis, D.L. DeVoe, C.S. Lee, E.H. Baehrecke, "Proteomic analysis of steroid-triggered autophagic programmed cell death in Drosophila melanogaster", Cell Death Differ., 14, 916, 2007.
- W. Wang, T. Guo, P.A. Rudnick, J. Li, Z. Zhuang, W. Zheng, D.L. DeVoe, C.S. Lee, B.M. Balgley, "Membrane proteome analysis of microdissected ovarian tumor tissues using capillary isoelectric focusing/reversed-phase liquid chromatography-tandem MS," Anal. Chem., 79, 1002-1009, 2007.
- C.W. Tsao, L. Hromada, J. Liu, D.L. DeVoe, "Low temperature bonding of PMMA and COC microfluidic substrates using UV/ozone surface treatment," Lab Chip, 7, 499-505, 2007.
- B.M. Balgley, W. Wang, D.L. DeVoe, C.S. Lee, "Mass spectrometry-based tissue proteomics for cancer biomarker discovery," review article, Personalized Medicine, 4, 45-58, 2007.
- K. Deng, P. Kumar, L. Li, D.L. DeVoe, "Piezoelectric disk resonators based on epitaxial AlGaAs films," J. MEMS, 16, 155-162, 2007.
- L. Zhu, D. Meier, Z. Boger, C. Montgomery, S. Semancik, D.L. DeVoe, "Integrated microfluidic gas sensor for detection of volatile organic compounds in water," Sensors and Actuators B, 121, 679-688, 2007.
- D.L. DeVoe, C.S. Lee, "Microfluidic technologies for MALDI-MS in proteomics," Electrophoresis, review article, 27, 3559-3568, 2006.
- T. Guo, C.S. Lee, W. Wang, D.L. DeVoe, B.M. Balgley, "Capillary Separations Enabling Tissue Proteomics-Based Biomarker Discovery," Electrophoresis, 27, 3523-3532, 2006.
- T. Guo, P.A. Rudnick, W. Wang, C.S. Lee, D.L. DeVoe, B.M. Balgley, "Characterization of the human salivary proteome by capillary isoelectric focusing/nano-reversed phase liquid chromatography coupled with ESI-tandem MS," J. Prot. Res., 5, 1469-1478, 2006.
- L. Li, P. Kumar, S. Kanakraju, D.L. DeVoe, "Piezoelectric AlGaAs bimorph microactuators," J. Micromech. Microeng., 16, 1062-1066, 2006.
- B. Panchepakesan, R. Cavicchi, S. Semancik, D.L. DeVoe, "Sensitivity, selectivity and stability of tin oxide nanostructures on large area arrays of microhotplates," Nanotechnology, 17, 415-425, 2006.
- L. Zhu, C.S. Lee, D. L. DeVoe, "Integrated microfluidic UV absorbance detector with attomol-level sensitivity for BSA," Lab Chip, 6, 115-120, 2006.
- A.J. Dick, B. Balachandran, D.L. DeVoe, C.D. Mote, "Parametric identification of piezoelectric microscale resonators," J. Micromech. Microeng., v.16, p.1593-1601, 2006.
- Y. Wang, P.A. Rudnick, E.L. Evans, Z. Zhuang, D.L. DeVoe, C.S. Lee, B.M. Balgley, "Proteome analysis of microdissected tumor tissue using a capillary isoelectric focusing-based multidimensional separation platform coupled with ESI-tandem MS," Anal. Chem., 77, 6549-6556, 2005.
- Y. Wang, Y. Zhou, B. Balgley, J. Cooper, C.S. Lee, D.L. DeVoe, "Electrospray interfacing of polymer microfluidics to MALDI-MS," Electrophoresis, v.26, p.3631-3640, 2005.
- L. Li, P. Kumar, L. Calhoun, D.L. DeVoe, "Piezoelectric Al0.3Ga0.7As longitudinal mode beam resonators," J. MEMS, 15, 466-470, 2005.
- J. Liu, L. Fan, D.L. DeVoe, "Design, fabrication, and characterization of a micromechanical time delay mechanism," J. MEMS, 14, 1051-1060, 2005.
- Y. Wang, B.M. Balgley, P.A. Rudnick, E.L. Evans, D.L. DeVoe, C.S. Lee, "Integrated capillary isoelectric focusing/nano-reversed phase liquid chromatography coupled with ESI-MS for characterization of intact yeast proteins," J. Prot. Res., 4, 36-42, 2005.
- J.S. Buch, F. Rosenberger, W.E. Highsmith, C. Kimball, D.L. DeVoe, C.S. Lee, "Denaturing gradient-based two-dimensional gene mutation scanning in a polymer microfluidic network," Lab Chip, 5, 392-400, 2005.
- P. Sivanesan, K. Okamoto, D. English, C.S. Lee, D.L. DeVoe, "Polymer Nanochannels Fabricated by Thermomechanical Deformation for Single Molecule Analysis," Anal. Chem., 77, 2252-2258, 2005.
- K. Cochran, L. Fan, D.L. DeVoe, "High-power optical micro switch based on direct fiber actuation," Sensors and Actuators A, 119, 512-519, 2005.
- A.T. Ferguson, V.T. Nagaraj, B. Balachandran, D.L. DeVoe, "Modeling and design of composite free-free beam piezoelectric microresonators," Sensors and Actuators A, 118, 63-69, 2005.
- Y. Wang, J. Cooper, C.S. Lee, D.L. DeVoe, "Efficient electrospray ionization from polymer microchannels using integrated hydrophobic membranes," Lab Chip, 4, 263-267, 2004.
- P. Kumar, L. Li, L. Calhoun, P. Boudreaux, D.L. DeVoe, "Fabrication of piezoelectric Al0.3Ga0.7As MEMS," Sensors and Actuators A, 115, 96-103, 2004.
- N. Sniadecki, C.S. Lee, P. Sivanesan, D.L. DeVoe, "Induced pressure pumping in polymer microchannels via field-effect flow control," Anal. Chem., 76, 1942-1947, 2004.
- Y. Li, J.S. Buch, F. Rosenberger, D.L. DeVoe, C.S. Lee, "Integration of Isoelectric Focusing with Parallel SDS Gel Electrophoresis for Multidimensional Protein Separations in a Plastic Microfluidic Network," Anal. Chem., 76, 742-748, 2004.
- J.S. Buch, C. Kimball, D.L. DeVoe, C.S. Lee, "DNA mutation detection in a polymer microfluidic network using temperature gradient gel electrophoresis," Anal. Chem., 76, 874-888, 2004.
- J.M. Maloney, D.S. Schreiber, D.L. DeVoe, "Large force electrothermal linear micromotors," J. Micromech. Microeng., 14, 226-234, 2004.
- K. Cochran, L. Fan, D.L. DeVoe, "Moving reflector type micro optical switch for high power transfer in a MEMS-based safety and arming system," J. Micromech. Microeng., 14, 138-146, 2004.
- J. Chen, J. Gao, B. Balgley, D.L. DeVoe, C.S Lee, "Capillary Isoelectric Focusing-Based Multidimensional Concentration/Separation Platform for Ultrasensitive Proteome Analysis," Anal. Chem., 75, 3145-3152, 2003.
- Y. Li, D. L. DeVoe, C.S. Lee, "Dynamic analyte introduction and focusing in plastic microfluidic devices for proteomic analysis," Electrophoresis, 24, 193-199, 2003.
- D.L. DeVoe, "Thermal Issues in Microsystems," IEEE Trans. Comp. Parts and Mfg. Tech., 25, 576-83, 2002 (invited article).
- B. Piekarski, M. Dubey, E. Zakara, R. Polcawich, D.L. DeVoe, D. Wickenden, "Sol-gel PZT for MEMS applications," Integrated Ferroelectrics, 42, 25-37, 2002.
- P.-C. Wang, D.L. DeVoe, C.S. Lee, "Integration of polymeric membranes with microfluidic networks for bioanalytical applications," Electrophoresis, 22, 3857-67, 2001.
- J. S. Buch, P.-C. Wang, D.L. DeVoe, C.S. Lee, "Field-effect flow control in a polydimethylsiloxane-based microfluidic system," Electrophoresis, 22, 3902-7, 2001.
- B. Panchapakesan, D.L. DeVoe, R. Cavicchi, M. Widmaeir, S. Semancik, "Nanoparticle engineering and control of tin oxide microstructures for chemical microsensor applications," Nanotechnology, 12, 336-49, 2001.
- B. Piekarski, D.L. DeVoe, M. Dubey, R. Kaul, J. Conrad, "Surface micromachined piezoelectric resonant beam filters," Sensors and Actuators A, 90, 313-20, 2001.
- D.L. DeVoe, "Piezoelectric thin film micromechanical beam resonators," Sensors and Actuators A, 88, 263-272, 2001.
- S. Semancik, R.E. Cavicchi, M.C. Wheeler, J.E. Tiffany, G.E. Poirier, R.M. Walton, J.S. Suehle, B. Panchapakesan, D.L. DeVoe, "Microhotplate platforms for chemical sensor research," Sensors and Actuators B, 77, 579-91, 2001.
- Z. Liu, D.L. DeVoe, "Micromechanism fabrication using silicon fusion bonding," Robotics and Computer Integrated Manufacturing, 17, 131-7, 2001.
- D.L. DeVoe, A. P. Pisano, "Surface micromachined piezoelectric accelerometers," J. MEMS, 10, 180-6, 2001.
- J. Darabi, M. Ohadi, D.L. DeVoe, "An electrohydrodynamic polarization micropump for electronic cooling applications," J. MEMS, 10, 98-106, 2001.
- B. Piekarski, M. Dubey, D.L. DeVoe, E. Zakar, R. Zeto, J. Conrad, R. Piekarz, M. Ervin, "Fabrication of suspended piezoelectric microresonators," Integrated Ferroelectrics, 24, 147-54, 1999.
- D.L. DeVoe, A.P. Pisano, "Modeling and optimal design of piezoelectric cantilever microactuators," J. MEMS, 6, 266-70, 1997.