Exemptions to the stated policies of the Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering Department will be granted only under unusual circumstances. Each case will be reviewed on an individual basis.

Before filing for an exemption, please check if your request should be filed with the School of Engineering. The petition form for enrolling in a course for the third time, exceeding the 18 repeat credit limit, registering for time conflicts, late add/drops,transferring credits from another institution and more can be found on the Clark School's Advising Forms page.

If your request is not covered in the College of Engineering form, first download the Petetion for Policy Exemption Cover Sheet and then schedule a meeting with your ChBE Department advisor to discuss your request. If your advisor agrees that your request has merit, to file for an exemption to ChBE Department policies, submit a single pdf document that contains the cover sheet and the following attachments:

  1. A personal statement from the student explaining the situation;
  2. A note from the student's advisor supporting the request;
  3. A copy of the student's most current transcripts;
  4. A plan for graduation that reflects the requested exemption; and
  5. A syllabus if the petition requests credit for a class not listed as an approved elective.
  6. The CHBE468/469 Application Form if the request is to substitute an outside research/projects course.

Petitions should normally be submitted during the regular advising period and at a minimum is due 15 days prior to the beginning of the semester. Petition for a Policy Exemption for a research or special projects course (e.g. CHBE468/469) and for International courses are due 30 days in advance.

Please submit the request to the Assistant Director of Undergraduate Studies, Kathy Gardinier, at lopresti@umd.edu.  Incomplete and multiple-file applications will be returned without consideration by the Department.