ResearchFest is an annual event that highlights the best undergraduate and graduate-level research from the Department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering (ChBE), the Department of Materials Science and Engineering (MSE), and the Fischell Department of Bioengineering (BioE). It allows students to share their work in a fun, casual setting with faculty, staff and students from their own and other departments. The event is sponsored by BioE, ChBE and MSE, and features guest judges, prizes, and a reception.
You are welcome to attend even if you will not be presenting your research! We also invite you to browse past winners and photos.
- Date: Friday, June 2nd, from 10:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. Setup begins at 9:00 a.m.
- Location: Kim Engineering Building Rotunda and boardrooms
- Cash prizes (deposited to student accounts) will be awarded.
- Lunch will be provided.
- You are welcome to attend even if you will not be presenting your research!
- Submitters of accepted presentations will deliver a 1 minute PowerPoint slide "soundbite" summarizing their research project along with a corresponding poster display.
- Judges will select a group of semi-finalists based on the soundbites and have a follow-up discussion while evaluating the posters to determine the winners/runners-up.
- There will be three judges consisting of an alumnus or other representative from each department (BioE, ChBE, and MSE).
- A winner and runner-up from each department will be chosen, each receiving a cash prize (deposited into their student accounts).
Submit a 1-page Abstract by Monday, May 15, 2017.
- Create a one-page abstract and submit it by 12:00 pm on Monday, May 15, 2017 to email@example.com with a CC to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate with your submission if you are interested in participating in the Presentation AND/OR Poster contest. Presentation slots are limited and will be assigned on a first come/first served basis by department.
- All submitted abstracts must be approved by you, any co-authors, and your advisors as acceptable for presentation in public. Information on the abstracts may be included in handouts for judges and/or attendees, or posted to the BIOE/CHBE/MSE websites.
Prepare your Poster or Presentation.
- You may create a new research poster for the event, or use one you have presented in the past year. You are responsible for printing your poster. Please plan ahead to format your poster to be no larger than 40"x30" (or 30"x40").
- Presentations will be timed and last no longer than 10 minutes (strictly enforced). Presenters will also be given 5 minutes for questions. Please ensure your presenation fits these constraints.
Arrive early on June 2nd.
Bring your printed poster to the Kim Building Rotunda for set-up beginning at 9:00 a.m. on June 2nd. Easels, 40"x30" boards, and pins will be provided. If your poster is larger than the boards provided, please bring your own board or mounting the poster.
There will be three judges consisting of alumni or other dept. representatives (BIOE, ChBE, and MSE). A winner will be chosen for each competition, as well as for one outstanding undergraduate research award. Several awards will carry a cash prize (which will be deposited into the winner's student account).
Please note, photos of the poster session and/or presentations may be used online and/or in newsletters. Questions or concerns should be addressed to email@example.com with a CC to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Additional information is available online: http://msgs.umd.edu/research-fest